Thursday, October 3, 2013

Kabayare “Milk Silk Maxi Dress” Review.

*I WAS NOT COMPENSATED AT ALL FOR THIS DRESS. I PURCHASED IT OUT OF POCKET.*

 


(Please excuse the poor cell phone pics, Miss L couldn't handle my Nikon very well.)

As a Muslim woman it is insane to fine reasonably priced modest dresses. When I saw on Kabayare’s website that they had these new Maxi dresses in stock for $32.50 usd, I thought it was worth trying. I was even more moved to buy from them because they are a Michigan company and somewhat local. Which makes it a super huge plus for me.

That being said the ordering process was fairly streamlined and I found no issues with any technical difficulties. Shipping was a flat rate box for $4.85 usd and came exactly two days after I ordered it. They offer free shipping in the United States for orders over $75 usd and flat rate shipping for international orders for $20 usd. And they have a special code when you like their Facebook page.

When I opened the box, I found that it was as pictured on the website. What it comes with is a thin brown somewhat inflexible like thin belt. It’s not really a silky material. I would say it has polyester in it. So It may be pushing it on the sweating factor in the summer but would be perfect for cooler months. It comes in nine different colors, so you do have a nice range of colors.

But that being said… There are some cons to this maxi dress.

  1) It is extremely see through.

  2) It stunk like the chemicals still from the factory and happens to screw with my sinuses. (Which could mean it will shrink if it was not pre-washed before sewing. Cold water only and low heat ladies!)


  3) The bottom hem of the dress was poorly stitched almost through out the whole bottom hem and I will have to repair.

  4) The top of the dress is pretty tight in the bust area even for a “Large.” I am in the medium B cup range and it’s tight. It does have a “stretch” to it but becomes VERY transparent when stretched.

That being said I do not think the dress should be priced for $32.50 usd, I think the quality is more of a dress priced at a range of $20 usd at the very highest price.

Does that mean I will not order these same dresses again?

Honestly, I would. It’s fairly cheap for what normal Muslimahs in the States are accustomed too.

These are my tips:

1) If you can fit the top, a correctly fitting nude color bra or coordinating bra color of your dress would be your best bet.
2) I would also go as far as too wear a sports bra in a coordinating bra color of the dress, so that your bra out line isn’t visible.
3) It's a clingy fabric, so some shape ware would be a plus.



So if you weigh under 150 pounds and your height is 5’6” and under and you can work with the transparent fabric, then you may find these are a decent addition to your wardrobe. I do wish I had bought some other colors too, I am still eyeing the Burgandy, Apple Cider and Candy Coral colors as well.

I will end up wearing leggings with this dress and when I move I will sew in a lining in the top to reduce the transparency and reduce bra visibility. This dress has good bones IF you fit within the height and weight restrictions and are handy with a sewing machine. It has a nice and high neckline so modesty will be easy to obtain!

But I don't regret buying it, I do wish it was a bit better like I expected.


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10